Monday, February 4, 2013

Winter?

It's February, and we've barely had a winter.  No snow, one icy day, and a lot of rain.  There is plenty of snow in the mountains, but none at our elevation.  Which makes me sad!  I love snow days!  A few years ago I came to the conclusion that snow days are good for the soul.  They force us to slow down, with schools and businesses closed, it means we have some pure downtime to enjoy our families, or that book we've been meaning to read, play some board games, or just BE.  I know many people have consequences to those snow days, but I still believe they are good for our health. (And I think bosses who don't get that have their own issues! LOL) So I am feeling a little betrayed by the weather. 

Last week I finished one project and half of another.  The one project i finished is a little table topper that I had stashed in my sewing dresser because I had no idea what to do with it when done. 

But....in the process of dusting I realized the place mat I had on a little side table was way to big.  Enter the "duh" moment!  This little project was the perfect size!  So now it is done and put away, and the place mat is once again a place mat!  That makes S2 happy because he likes to set a table "properly" once in awhile.  At 8, properly is open to interpretation.  But matching place mats are a must! 

I also got my 2 scrappy stars done last week, but my camera batteries died, so no photos!

My half done project is a set of hand warmers (or fingerless mittens, if you like) for ME!  I realized all my yarn didn't fit in my yarn box, so it was time to get some of the put off projects done.  I should be finished by Wednesday with them.  Then a break from knitting should be in order. 

I am also hoping to get a yard project started.  After getting ivy and blackberries (mostly) cleaned out last spring, I discovered some ugly spots in the yard.  One is a dry, brown, little patch of nothing between our fence and the alley.  Right by where we have the compost inside the chain-link fence.  I am sure the neighbors love that view.  I had tried planting and amending the soil (kind of) and nothing grew.  A few dandelions and a spot of grass.  Yuck! So the fence is coming out, and we (I mean S1 with supervision) will build a raised bed around the area, and after lining and filling it, fill it with rhubarb.  S1 loves rhubarb anything, and it should be a large enough plant to screen the compost from the neighbors.  And cement blocks should, I hope, survive any to quick turns into the driveway!  We'll see what the weather and the budget allow for next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment