Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Great start for August!

After a few months of few to no finishes for OPAM, I might finally broken through that mental block.  This weekend, I finished 3 place mats and a pincushion.  I have a few projects lined up to finish, as well as some new small gift items I am finally getting around to.

Somewhere I didn't do the math for these. There are 6 of us in the family, and for some reason, I only made four.


The fourth one was finished months ago and is already put away with the Christmas decorations.  Maybe I ran out of fabric?  I don't remember.  And I have no idea what to do with it now, which is fine. I am pretty sure there some standard for crafter gifting involved here, LOL!

I have always wanted one of these, and I kept hoping DH would buy me one.  But after 10 years, I guess I just needed to make it myself.  Which is fine. But sometimes I don't want to DIY.  I know how to install a water heater too, but that doesn't mean I *want* to. So I grabbed a bunch of random novelty scraps, a used canning lid and sacrificed a rim and jar.  And giving up that jar and rim were kind of painful. I USE those. Fifty-two or more jars of jam every year.  Plus whatever else we decide to make. So he's buying me a case of the pretty green ones to use for canning to "make up."

Once we got the lid on, we realized this wasn't going to be usable for practical storage. DH gets those rims down tight.  So I stuffed it with my mothers, grandmothers, and great-grandmothers old sewing notions.

The thread was so old it broke, the zipper didn't work easily, and the snaps were missing parts.  But I loved that they were "family pieces."  And they weigh the jar down enough that it doesn't tip when I'm sticking pins in.

This week, I have a few more UFO's I'm working on, as well as another Mason jar pincushion for a friend who sews.  But that's it for now.  I think. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment