Friday, May 10, 2013

Vintage Threads...literally!

One of the things I had stashed around the house that needed something done with it was a collection of antique and vintage threads still on their wooden spools.  They had come to me from my great-grandmother and my grandmother, and I couldn't bear to toss them out.  Over time, the box got scattered about.  I took one out for a project, or the kids got into them, or whatever.  So I finally got them all rounded up, and after years of wondering what to do with them, I saw a cute wreath in a magazine.  I'd seen it on-line in various places, as well, but they all used styrofoam bases.  I have a personal hatred of styrofoam.  It violates all sorts of things for me. So I pondered, and D2 found a wreath form under her bed.  That was exactly what I needed!  So here it is!  My spool wreath.


First, I did put a layer of sealer on the threads, to keep them from unspooling.  Then I wrapped wire around the base, threaded it through the spool, and wrapped the wire twice around the base before threading the next spool on.  I recommend working the inside of the base before the outside!

It is the only thing at present on the wall.  And the wall is too big for it!  I fell like it needs something, but nothing I had worked with it.  Bows were too big, buttons were too small. So part of me is hoping that I find more heirloom sewing items, maybe Great-grandma's measuring tape or something.  But until then, I am quite happy with it.  And if I do find more spools, I'll add a third middle layer, but I am pretty sure I found all of them.  I think!


Sharing this today at



No comments:

Post a Comment