Friday, May 23, 2014

The first half of a wonderful surprise!

A huge part of this week has passed by in a haze as we recovered from the days and hours of BASH prep.  The fundraiser did AMAZING and the rumor right now is that we had a record breaking year.  I found one "must have" in the silent auction.  Now, whenever I find a must-have treasure, we almost never have the money for it, even if it's something we need anyways.  But when this item came in for silent auction, I saw and started thinking I can use on of those.  I can keep yarn in it! My stash is somehow not getting smaller.  Well, knowing it wasn't in the budget, I told DH about it anyway.  He thought I was nuts, which is ok. I probably am. 

The night of BASH came, and DH calls me from the gym's kitchen to ask if I really want this item.  I went down a little later to supervise clean up, and the live auction had not started yet.  So I helped the ladies that where closing up the silent auction.  And the thing I wanted was bid on.  I usually don't bid. I'm a buy it now kind of girl.  I get no enjoyment out of the "did I or didn't I".  Turns out, no, the bidder didn't win, someone had paid the buy it now, but it wasn't my husband.  Now I'm not heavily emotionally invested in this thing.  But sometimes if items don't go during the auction, we can buy it at actual value after wards.  You just need to let someone know if you're interested in something.  Now another reason BASH was success this year, all but 2 items went that night!  There were some staging reasons why those 2 items didn't go, and it's something we can work on for next year. 

So we get home.  We lock the van, and go to bed.  Sunday morning we are piling in the van to head to the church, and there it is.


A large stoneware urn.  Perfect for holding my cotton yarns.  And while I didn't think I had enough to go in it, I was obviously wrong!  I have to hide my wool yarns from the cat, so I can only have the cotton out.  I haven't been able to find a year for it yet, so I'm not sure how old it is.  Just that it is really old. 


See those lovely, real, age marks?   And cracks?  Which is why it is holding yarn and not flowers :)!


I love the little detail on the top of the handle.  Just little fluff to make a useful thing beautiful!! There is another piece that needs some TLC before I get any photos for it.  Hopefully DH will have that done next week.

Sharing this at Shabby Art Boutique's Shabbilicious Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment